We're pleased to announce that two of our films, 'The Letter' and 'Sebastian & Me' will be shown at the St Neots Film Festival, at Cineworld St Neots on Monday 7th November 6-9pm
We've also had the privilege of having helped judge the Children's section of the competition.
Well done to who have entered.
At last we've started to put dialogue to our scenes!
This week we have been trying to make sense of all the transcribed material and turn it into dialogue. Our scene boundaries were not very clear in either transcript and have been juggling things around as to not give too much away too early but give just enough to keep interest and the story flowing.
All in all a lot harder than we hoped, but things are now coming together.
This week we have finished up transcribing our improvisation sessions and now have them all safely documented.
We now have the long task of studying what was actually said to see if it fits with in our story. We will then re-arrange everything to suit, fix up any missing information and shorten bits that are too long or miss the point.
It is pleasing there is so much good material to use.
More discussions were had on the ending and I think we're slowly piecing it together. Our last improvisation session left us feeling the film was an anti climax so are still looking to strengthen the ending.
This week we have been working on more transcribing of the script from the two improvisation sessions that we have held. While quite a boring task, it does get us familiar with the language styles being used by both characters and feel that we’re learning more each time we listen to it.
Although no official dialogue has been written, the transcripts will certainly form the basis of what we use.
It has been interesting to see the amount of repetition that is used by the actors, and if we had written it from scratch I feel we would not have achieved this.
The pauses also play a huge role in the tension of the script and it feels at times it is all about what is not said that gives it its impact.
Well in two weeks we have gone from a broad outline of scenes to having a filmed dialogue improvisation and each scene transcribed ready for tweaking. We reintroduced Laura into the fold as a second detective and saw Jim and Leah exploring the emotions and responses for all the different twists in the tale.
The idea of writing the script in this way seemed crazy when we started but the natural dialogue which included pauses and natural usage of the English language 'warts and all' has generated a very real watch. It will be very interesting if this style is embraced by audiences when the film gets released. (Note to self - look up if and how this has been used by anyone else. Are there any films out using this technique?)
It certainly feels emotional and engenders an edge of the seat sense for both Darren and I as we work on it. Next step is to work the second improvisation footage into the first transcription and ensure all our objectives in terms of twists and plot inclusions are included and overt(or otherwise) enough.
Darrren and I are looking at meeting once a week to fine tune, get a script and then re-introduce it to the actors to fine tweak and see if all works at this stage. The whole project seems to be working but also feels a huge risk as it is so different in so many ways to what we have done before. - All one location, Script created through improvisation and a challenging story which is dependent on very strong actors to carry of the emotional turns.
I love breaking new ground and pushing our boundaries!