Another mind frying evening trying to extract script from two improvisation transcriptions and create a seamless story ensuring subtle nuances and plot twists are covered! But it feels like it is working! We both feel that we have a good story and are telling it in a challenging and different way.
Scene 4 is now written so about half way through and pausing on a significant development. The problem with writing in the way we are is that there is a constant need to revisit what has been written to make sure clues and hints are covered and that we are not repeating ourselves too much. We are also mindful of the need to use repetition as a technique both as an interview in the storyline and also as a story telling technique (ask us about destroying the ring if you require further explanation!)
We also spent some time at the end of our session discussing filming techniques having enjoyed a real mix of styles at last weeks St Neots Film Festival. Something that has made us question our style and what we could use in this film to developer or at least experiment with a different way of filming as well as our current different way of writing.
All in all a good evenings work with good progression and feeling positive.
We're pleased to announce that two of our films, 'The Letter' and 'Sebastian & Me' will be shown at the St Neots Film Festival, at Cineworld St Neots on Monday 7th November 6-9pm
We've also had the privilege of having helped judge the Children's section of the competition.
Well done to who have entered.
At last we've started to put dialogue to our scenes!
This week we have been trying to make sense of all the transcribed material and turn it into dialogue. Our scene boundaries were not very clear in either transcript and have been juggling things around as to not give too much away too early but give just enough to keep interest and the story flowing.
All in all a lot harder than we hoped, but things are now coming together.
This week we have finished up transcribing our improvisation sessions and now have them all safely documented.
We now have the long task of studying what was actually said to see if it fits with in our story. We will then re-arrange everything to suit, fix up any missing information and shorten bits that are too long or miss the point.
It is pleasing there is so much good material to use.
More discussions were had on the ending and I think we're slowly piecing it together. Our last improvisation session left us feeling the film was an anti climax so are still looking to strengthen the ending.
This week we have been working on more transcribing of the script from the two improvisation sessions that we have held. While quite a boring task, it does get us familiar with the language styles being used by both characters and feel that we’re learning more each time we listen to it.
Although no official dialogue has been written, the transcripts will certainly form the basis of what we use.
It has been interesting to see the amount of repetition that is used by the actors, and if we had written it from scratch I feel we would not have achieved this.
The pauses also play a huge role in the tension of the script and it feels at times it is all about what is not said that gives it its impact.