The writing team are gelling together nicely and we’re now all on the same page with the characters.
We’re now about to start writing Act 2 out of 3 so still a long way to go but the foundations are laid and we know where we are heading. We’ve still a lot of decisions to be made along the way including how much of the characters back stories to add to enhance the story but still keep the story moving.
More next week.
Hello! Jess here! I've been attending the scripting sessions with Darren and Lindsay for the past few weeks and they've decided to let me loose on an update post! (They must think I'm doing okay!?)
The scripting session this week was a tricky one. Writing one of the most pivotal scenes in the film is an enormous task and this particular scene will probably be revisited a few more times until we're finally happy. I am sure that draft 245 will make the final cut eventually!
Lessons learned this week are that language and the "culture" of swearing has changed a lot! We've found ourselves asking "do people say that today?". Lesson 2 was to not write notes you don't understand! I'm sure we'll find a place to put spoons in.. maybe... No spoilers!
Other than that, all going rather well! I am excited to be a part of this project and I won't be going anywhere, so I don't think you should either! Stay tuned! J x
So how do you show the passage of 6 weeks, indicate characters are getting to know each other, develop characters to the audience AND move the story on in the space of about 2 minutes max?
This was our dilemma at this week’s scripting session and guess what. Not only did we do it we have started injecting something almost unheard of in a Channel 7 production. Humour! Well we think so, only when an audience chuckles or lols will we know we can actually do humour.
A really good session and Jess is really fitting in and adding another depth to our writing. It is really refreshing to have her on board. Still no spoilers(I hope) and good progress being made.
Just before Christmas last year we met for an improvisation session to learn more about our characters and interactions and to try and get some realistic dialogue.
Unfortunately the evening did not progress as well as we’d hoped in terms of actual dialogue but it has told us a lot about our characters and some areas we need to work on.
Since then we have met for our first script writing session of the year and have a new member of the writing team, Jess Morphew, to help us.
We discussed many things and even found time to write the first scene! Discussions were had around our male character as we weren’t happy with his character and a long discussion on whether or not our first scene would really happen. In the end we weren’t sure but went with artistic license.
The story has now been completed and sorted into scenes and character profiles have now been finalised ready for our improvisation session towards the end of the year.
Lindsay and I have created a rough outline of the scenes and will feed information to the actors about the sort of thing we want to see and record what happens. We will only tell them the information that is necessary so that they too do not know where the story is heading.
This allows the actors to explore their characters and for them to question each other about the events along the way, hopefully leading to more natural flow and set of dialogue.
This also helps us to see if the characters, events, etc. work before spending hours scripting the dialogue.